Saturday, June 18, 2016

I'm Back With Teal Blocks!

I really didn't intend on being away for so long. I was trying to get caught up on projects that I really couldn't share till now! I won't share all the projects today because this post might turn into a book!!
I can finally show you the graduation gift that I made for my grand nephew at the request of his dad! He gave me one t-shirt that I could "make something with". It has special meaning to the both of them. I had been wondering what to make for him, so this made things a lot easier!! I found this great "sport newspaper" fabric and put my thinking cap on. I think the label says it all!
50 was his jersey number. The name Texas Star came to me when I finished quilting the center panel. The quilt does lay flat, I just had it folded for awhile before I took the pics!

This was the first time I used longarm rulers and I think I am hooked! I did a simple straight stitch pattern.

I also made a pair of earrings for my grand neice's 16th birthday.
Of course, it has to have a pretty box to go in!
Okay, now for the teal blocks! I LOVE teal but was very surprised that I didn't have a lot of it in my stash or scraps. I will have to remedy that when we are on our 3 week driving trip coming up soon!!
I always start off the month cutting a 5 1/8" strip from some of my fat quarters and some yardage fabrics. I use those strips to make the Jacob's Ladder, Pinwheel, Centennial and Flower blocks. I use my selvedges to make the String and That Thirties Thing blocks.
I did things a little different this month. I decided to cut out all my blocks first, then sew them up when I had the time. To me cutting is the the worst part of the quilting process. So this worked out really well for me. So here are my blocks ready to go! (That space is usually where my Pfaff is, but it was still in the shop! But it's home now and is being put to work again!)
Since I started the Jacobs Ladder Blocks in April, I was trying to play catch up. With these brown blocks added, I am all caught up.
I LOVE these teal blocks. I can't wait to see this quilt come together.
Here are the Pinwheels. Did I mention that I LOVE teal?
The Centennial Stars in their TEAL glory!! I still have to trim the dog ears off and remove the papers before putting them away.
I hope you are all enjoying this RSC (Rainbow Scrap Challenge) color of the month as much as I am. If you want to see more TEAL blocks be sure to check out SoScrappy to see what Angela and all the other Quilter's have been sewing up.
............Sew till next time............

8 comments:

gayle said...

I love all your blocks! Glad I don't have to pick a favorite... 8)

Ivani said...

Great aqua blocks. Beautiful quilt and earrings.

Warm Quilts said...

What a great collection of teal fabrics. The graduation quilt is a beautiful keepsake, especially with the quilted stars.

The Joyful Quilter said...

TEAL is one of my favorites, too, but I think you've got me beat when it comes to usable scrap stash!! You've certainly got some fabulous projects on the go.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

The tshirt quilt is great, as is the quilting on it. Nice teal blocks, too. You can even make jewelry!

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

You have a wonderful collection of teal blocks! I loved the Jacob's Ladders first, then liked the pinwheels even better, and the stars most of all. And what a great t-shirt quilt made with just one t-shirt! Great idea!

PaulaB quilts said...

The tee shirt quilt is so simple but makes the statement which means so much. I think trying to put every tee shirt in one quilt lessens the impact. You did a nice job with the quilting also, simple and neat. A wonderful gift. The JL teal block is really good use of color. Keep up the good work!.

Angie said...

LOVE all your teal blocks! Very creative t-shirt use and wonderful fabrics! Would love to hear more about using the longarm rulers - I need all the inspiration I can get for doing my own quilting!