Saturday, August 29, 2009

I'm trying to catch up!!!

Sorry I've been MIA for so long. I've been busy with pillowcases, applique and quilting and LIFE!! But I did want to share some of our vacation pics with you! Lea came home for 2 weeks in June and we spent some of that time in Austin. My family lived there in 1965 for 9 months and I had never been back. So Lea and Gary surprised me with a trip there. We would have all enjoyed it much more had it not been so HOT and dry!!! And of course, most things we did was outdoors.
We toured the capital.




These are the door hinges. Very impressive.













And I fell in love with the flooring in one part of the building. This is a reproduction of the original. There's a quilt in there somewhere!!












We took the "100" steps to the top of Austin! The view below was beautiful, but it was soooo hot that day, that we couldn't wait to get back down and get something to drink!!


A great view from the top.
We even made time for BBQ at the County Line on the Lake Restaurant. After you eat, you can walk out on the decks and feed the multitude of turtles. Great BBQ!
Then we ended one of our afternoons by the river waiting for the bats to go out on their nightly hunt. I tried to upload a video that I took, but I couldn't get it to post. If you want to read about it, you can find it here. http://www.austincityguide.com/content/congress-bridge-bats-austin.asp They just had a story about it on HLN an hour ago!!
We did find where I had lived, but all that was left was the sign for the trailer park! The section has been closed off and is a "green" area. It was nice to see Austin again!

No comments: