Friday, August 12, 2016

It's Been Awhile!

We have been back from our 3 week vacation for 2 weeks now, so I guess it's time to get back on track! What a great time we had, one week on the road, one week with our daughter and son-in-law, then another week back on the road. We left Texas and headed to Hamilton, Missouri. Does that town ring a bell to you? It should, if you are a big Jenny Doan fan! It's the home of Missouri Star Quilt Company! What a great place. So unique. And everyone was so friendly. She has trained her employees well. They all fold the fabric the same way!! Yes, I tend to notice things like that!! Lol!
Next stop was Lincoln, Nebraska, home to the International Quilt Study and Museum. Hubby and I were really impressed. He hadn't planned on taking the tour with me, but decided that it might be interesting and it was! We met a group of really nice ladies from Denver, that were taking the tour with us. Hi, Jan and friends, if you are reading this!!
Then we went to Cheyenne WY, Ogden Utah, Boise Idaho, then Hillsboro OR. It was so nice to be in one hotel for a whole week!! On the drive we stopped at 6, I think, quilt shops. I was collecting the Home Sweet Home Row by Row patterns. But I was trying to limit myself to 1 or 2 from each state. I want this quilt to represent the entire trip, so I have more shops on the list for the trip back!
I had a few quilted projects that I was delivering to my daughter. First was the quilt, Rainbow Twist, that I made for her school to raffle. Their school motto is Reduce, Reuse, Recycle, so I make the raffle quilts using my selvedges to go along with the theme!
This quilt did start out as a RSC for this year, but I put it on the fast track and just did the colors that Angela posted for last year. It was such a big block and I didn't need that many, so it was a quickie to get done!!
Back of quilt. The wind was blowing so hard that day and I didn't want to fight to unclamp it and reclamp it back on the fence, so I just took the pic from the other side!!
This is a 2015 Row by Row from Portland, OR that I made last year. They wanted all the rows the same width to be able to change them out. I think they all look great with the pics Lea painted. You can also see a small portion of the very first Selvedge quilt I made.
These are the quilts that I brought to her. She got this pattern from a shop by the beach.
I got this kit from Hayes, Kansas last year. It is called Prehistoric Kansas.
And Lea got this pattern called Meep, Meep!! It's from Albuquerque, NM. So far, this is my favorite! But I have a few more to make for her!!
Before we left on our trip, I had been busy garment sewing and helping my grand niece finish her summer dress, so I didn't do any RSC (Rainbow Scrap Challenge) blocks. BUT, I did manage to get them all cut out and ready to sew when I got back. So, that is exactly what I have been doing. And I am so happy to report that I am completely caught up and ready to start this month's RSC color, GRAY! I am going with the back up color, since I don't have enough of the lighter purples to make all my blocks. I have already cut out the Centennial, Jacob's ladder and pinwheel blocks! I am on a roll and hope to get them all done this week so I can work on other things. My list seems to be never ending!
I had gotten behind on my flower blocks for the last 4 months. I had them all appliqued, but didn't add the last row to them. BUT, now here they are in all their colorful glory!! I LOVE these blocks all together. I did not add the brown and blues to the mix, since they were already done. They are not sewn together, so the layout will change! I am trying hard to make the "color" rows different and I really like the results!
Next up is the Centennial blocks. Only showing 8, but I did make all 10 for the month!
And here are the Pinwheels!
And Scrappy Strings
And finally, the Centennial blocks! Darn, this pic didn't come out too well. The background is actually a WOW, white on white!
We laughed our heads off when we saw this in the parking lot of our hotel in Lincoln, NE!!

Oh, and I did manage to finish these blocks tonight! The hubby and I usually watch baseball, but I just couldn't stand to watch A Rod play his last game and get all the attention. He is NOT my favorite player!
Anyhoo, here are my Jacob's Ladder blocks for August!

Sorry for the long post! It you made it this far, THANK YOU!! I am posting to So Scrappy, so please stop by there and check out the other RSC blocks that were made this week. There is always lots of quilty eye candy!!

....................Sew until next time.......................

12 comments:

Libby in TN said...

What a fun trip. You've gotten a lot done since you got back! I especially like your flower blocks. I collected plates from our vacation this year but I don't plan to do the rows. I think I'm just going to frame them with fabric bought at the shop.

Angie said...

Wow, Peggy - that was a whirlwind of a catch-up post! What fun to see all the things you've been working on! Sounds like you had a great trip, too!

Chantal said...

Welcome back! You missed your sewing machine I think because you did accomplished a lot. Lovely blocks all around. Especially love the flower blocks in all their glory! Great job! Jacob's Ladder will be a wonderful quilt too. ;^)

LIttle Penguin Quilts said...

Your trip sounds amazing! I would love to visit MSQCo in Missouri. My son lived just 30 miles from there, but moved before I had even heard of them. Darn! All of your pink blocks look great and it was fun to see your Row by Row quilts, too!

Cathy said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful trip! Next time you are coming to Utah, let me know! I am in the Salt Lake Valley, but drive up to “play” with friends near Ogden regularly. :-) I love your raffle quilt and all your string blocks. Such an eye-candy-filled post. Have a lovely week!

Kat Scribner said...

Beautiful show today. I love the pics on your wall, lovely.

PaulaB quilts said...

Thanks for including all those great projects and the trip story. Sounds like you had a wonderful time. I love the wall of framed pieces
And the pink stars, very bright and cheerful. Have a fun week!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Never apologize for a long post. We LOVE seeing all of your beautiful blocks!!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Lots of great quilts and quilt blocks. I've never done the Row by Rows, but, I did see them in almost all the quilt shops in Alaska last week.

gayle said...

What a fabulous bunch of blocks! I'm just crazy about those flower blocks - they're gorgeous!

Karen said...

It sounds like you had a fun trip. Your blocks are amazing especially the flower blocks. I am looking forward to see the flower blocks as a quilt.

Frog Quilter said...

It's like I am looking at myself. Great scrappy quilts to be. So beautiful!